January 21, 2011

First day of WASH

The first day of WASH certainly wasn't what I was expecting (though I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, to be quite honest). We started the day making a costume out of newspapers. I made a Jason-type mask and a shotgun.
It was actually kind of fun starting the day off like this, and I especially enjoyed the ingenuity and imagination of the costumes of my classmates.
Next, we went through a number of lectures and activities (including acting out the principles of design in music).
The lecture on all art being tension was interesting, but I'm don't really agree with it fully. While probably most art is based on some kind of tension to be interesting, I have found some that I would call "harmony-based". This kind of art shows things working and existing together, such as your nature paintings or paintings of fruit and such.

1 comment:

  1. harmony based. I have thought about this too. I think the creation of harmony is created or depicted by a balancing of tensions. if the tensions are wrong, you get a disharmonious work. all art is about various degrees of BALANCING tensions. ??

    ReplyDelete